Started out like any other day. Mom was watching her "shows" happy
as you please. In less than 30 minutes everything changed. She said
her head hurt, her neck, her chest etc. I took her BP and it was
sky high even for her. I feared a stroke might be imminent. I asked
her questions, she was able to answer. Her pain level was 4 out of 5.
I tried to call the ambulance.. I said I TRIED!! UGHhhhhh. The number we
had as a paid member..went directly to a machine.. HUH  WHAT ????
So I called 911. That went through to the police dept here in town.
They sent an officer. He came to assess her and then he relayed it
to the ambulance. They spoke to me and I told them specific details.
The first ambulance showed up as a man on standby duty came in
and checked her over. He told me another was on the way. HUH???
The second ambulance was over 5 minutes away. While the first
attendant took her vitals and assesed her more, I asked WHY
The second was coming because they were the REAL PARAMEDICS, and
were the only ambulance available in case of transport.  OH…
The policemen told me that it had been a very "Unusally busy day" and that
ALL ambulance calls go through 911 exceptions. Our local police dept
office will be moved soon to another town and  the calls will be
dispatched from there to here. COMPLICATED!! YOU BET!
CONSOLIDATION is what he called it.
ANYWAY.. after the second team arrived Mom could care less. She was
not fighting the thought of going to any hospital at all. I knew if she
was that way, she was in pain and wanted it GONE!  So they packed her
up and got her off to the hosp. I sat in the front with the guy and good
thing I did. He had NO IDEA how to GET TO THE FREEWAY FROM OUR
HOUSE!! The other lady attendant was with Mom and could not have
helped him much back there. It took both of them to establish an
IV after poking her twice. OUCH.,( She is black and blue on both
arms today, from many attempts at taking blood and
such.) I guided the driver to the freeway and off we went.
He drove the whole way on the passing lane without lights but
going only 65-70. Cars were passing us on the right hand lane!
YIKES  where is the law when you need them? Our car
was fine the brakes held good, but we still are going to have
them checked soon.
The DOCTOR was right, way to go through the ambulance..
because when my SIS and I got to admit.. the ER was FULL.
I mean at least 20 people or more sitting there to be assessed,
around 5 P.M.
The lady behind the glass looked wore out. She said it had
been a "madhouse all day long."  What the heck?? I said
are they "FLU RELATED"? . She said they weren’t. They
proceeded to poke, prod and test mom for the next
5 hours and come to the conclusion that she had an
infection and needed antibiotics.  OKAY .. they needed
to do the HEAD CT because …… she had head pain..
okay and why the chest X RAY?? It went on and on
and mom was wore out. Everyone was doing their
jobs and being overly cautious about GERMS. EVERY
single person either wore gloves or used the anti-GEL
dispensers. Several nurses told me that this was so
weird because they had been so over busy the whole day long.
"EXTREMELY ILL".  I knew we were going to take
mom back home then. Around 10 pm SIS and I
wheeled her out of the ER. NO help.. they were
still busy. When we came through the ER..waiting area
still at least 12 people sitting there.  Mom was mortified
because she didnt know people would be seeing her
in her "condition" being wheeled out.
It was 50 degrees and she was not dressed
for it. I gave her my coat and we cranked up
the heat. 
I learned a few things about our "system" here in
town. I learned that if you are in dire need of
an ambulance to get you someplace in a hurry
you are out of luck. There will most likely
be quite a wait for it to even get here. Small towns
just are in bad shape for services now. Our Police Station
will be CLOSED SOON. There will be someone watching
the office via cameras and talking to people over phones
connected to another city. Officers will be dispatched from
their homes.  WOW.. it was a real eye opener.
Follow up appt for mom tomorrow if we can get worked
in to her regular doctor. She is too "tired" to go today and
it is raining here…Hard!  Says she feels a lot better though.
Well that was most of our day yesterday… I did forget the
part where she ate a blueberry muffin I baked and said
"YOUR MUFFIN MADE ME SICK"..   YEAh right Mom!  Open-mouthed


I was a caregiver for the elderly on and off for over 30 years.I am now retired and enjoying a new life. I love blogging and have kept a personal journal for 40 years. I enjoy the freedom of being creative and interacting with the millions of other bloggers in the world.I love learning the new things that the computer world has to offer. I have made friends that will last a lifetime blogging, something I never ever thought would happen. I hope you enjoy my blog,and will continue to visit me in the future.

9 responses »

  1. That’s one hell of a way to find out how your "system" worls and how it’s going to work. So glad to hear you mom is o.k. Did that infection come on that fast? Strange. Hope her doctor also checks her out good. Bet she won’t eat you muffins anymore! lol

  2. How is she feeling this morning? How scary for you. It’s a shame they are consolidating services like that. I can’t believe the driver didn’t know how to get to the freeway but I spose it can happen to the best of them. I sure am glad it wasn’t more then an infection. I’m thinking what if it had been a heart attack or stroke, 5 minutes can mean life or death.Big hugs to you and mom and your sister Carol. Sherry

  3. Unbelievable that the system that is in place there is so awful. A person could croak if they were having a heart attack!!!!I am so grateful she feels better but talk about rapid onset!!!! You guys rest up.,all three of you. (((HUGS)))

  4. Not a good experience. My heart goes out to you and your mom – and all the other folks who run into the same predicament evry day of the week.

  5. I am shocked at how messed up that system is. At least when they had to call a second ambulance to transport me, they stuck me in the first and drove like crazy to go meet the second. And at least I had real paramedics on both ambulances. The second ambulance had advanced life support which the first did not have.Here in Montana (the Flathead Valley) all of our emergency responders are dispatched from a centralized 911 and many are dispatched from their homes, but response times are phenomally quick.I hope your Mom and you are doing better today.Love ya!!

  6. Oh, you poor things. I feel so sorry for both of you. It is pouring rain here too.Our EMS ambulance closed and now we have one from 16 miles away but our city is bigger than their city so one of the ambulances is in town all day long and our 911 service is excellent. I found that out when Jim was so sick and when I called them for myself at Christmas time.Hugs for you and mom.

  7. Talk about a day from hell! My goodness, that’s just outrageous! I’m so glad Mom was able to joke about it…I hope she was joking. Hopefully this will not be the type of service your town has to live with. As soon as the "right" person goes through this same hell, things will be changed. Hope Mom is OK and feeling much better.

  8. Oh my gosh!! I am horrified what you all had to go through. If I were you I’d write a letter to the editor of your town’s paper and let everyone know just how things are. I hope your Mom is feeling better. Hope the weekend is healthy and relaxing.

  9. Good heavens Carol, I can’t believe all that you had to go through to get your Mom to the hospital, rediculous really. When I have had to call for the ambulance for my husband it was here in no time depending on the situation, if it was his heart they would be here within seconds and do theit thing and we’d be on the way to the hospital with all the bells and whistles. What a day from hell for both of you. Do hope Mom is feeling better now.I keep missing your updates now as I haven’t been getting them for a week, I don’t know what is up with that. Why do they even have the feature if it isn’t working. Sometimes I want to scream. Hang in there sweetpea and I hope you both can enjoy the weekend. Take care and God bless……………….Rusty ((HUGS))

I welcome and appreciate your comments. Spam will promptly be deleted.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s